As I am sitting here on a day where all of the public schools and some of the businesses have shut down due to a winter storm. They were expecting 1 inch of ice but we only ended up with 1/4 inch. The nearby cities all shut down their businesses. Since it ended up being very mild we are all able to go back to schedule. However, one day it could very well be the worst winter storm ever seen and we could end up stuck in our homes. What if the skies decide to drop 6 feet of snow on the midwest. So that I am prepared, I am putting together an emergency kit.
Before doing research for my kit I was only able to list 3 items that would be needed. They were food, water and a flashlight and/or backup generator. Im guessing that I am not the only one that really doesn’t have many ideas on what we would need in case of an emergency. Here is a more detailed list that I found looking online.
- Water: one gallon per person, per day
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (Peanut butter, dried foods, canned foods with can opener, powder milk, nuts and cereals).You can purchase a 3 month supply food supply kit My Patriot Supply
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible) [Available on the Red Cross Store]
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit [Available on the Red Cross Store]
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items)
- Multi-purpose tool
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket Map(s) of the area
These are just the bare minimum for if you were to be trapped in your house. You should also have a 3 day supply of all of these things ready to quickly grab if you have to evacuate your home.
You should also think of including these in your kit:
Change of clothes
feminine hygiene items
household bleach ( Can be used to clean water or disinfect surfaces)
puzzles,games, cards etc
You should have an emergency kit in your car as well. My grandmother always told me to keep a blanket as well as other first aid items in your car just in case you are stranded without heat in cold weather.
You can purchase a 3 month supply food supply kit Here My Patriot Supply
Not only do they provide emergency kits but they also provide water filtration systems for hurricane relieve. Check out the following article: My Patriot Supply
I will be putting together an emergency kit for my own household very soon. What are some of the things you include in your emergency kit?